Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Giving Back This Holiday

Last season, CJ and I were wrapped up with our bundle of joy and settling into our new home (we moved in 4 weeks after Christopher was born!). This year, all is calm and we've been talking about how we want to give back. We threw out several ideas and one of our ideas was to send a care package to a military troop overseas.

Since my brother, Sam, attended Virginia Military Institute, I asked him if he had any friends who would be spending the holiday season overseas. Within half a second, he texted back with two names, Joe and Kenny. Joe and Kenny were classmates of Sam and I met these guys several times throughout Sam's 4 years at VMI. I was happy at the thought of putting together a care package for them and so it began, a care package filled with gifts to give back saying "thank you!"

We filled up Christmas stockings full of snacks and shipped them off. I feel really good about this little project. While we are surrounded by beautifully decorated trees, Christmas lights and holiday music, our troops are overseas, separated from their loved ones and will be spending the holiday season alone. This is our way of showing them we care and are thankful for their service. 

CJ and I have a few other ideas we want to do and hope we get to knock a few more do-good items off our list. 




No comments: