Wednesday, November 25, 2015

Give

ThanksGIVING.

Give thanks. Give love. Give happiness.

Holidays are great to gather, have fun and create memories, but I think they're also a great time to reflect on life. And as Socrates once said, "A unexamined life is not worth living". Learned that once in 9th grade English (Go Langley!).

Each Thanksgiving meal, my family gathers and we go around the table and say what we're thankful for. Basically, we say what have we RECEIVED in the past year that we're thankful for. It's a nice few minutes of sharing and it gets conversations flowing. This year, my mindset is a little different.

What about thinking of ways I can give? Giving to others is way more rewarding than receiving. Isn't it? At least for me it is. Whether it's to donate to a charitable organization or give your time to loved ones, I believe giving warms the heart and soul.

I went through a Chick-Fil-A phase. I loved eating there. Literally. I loved going in, ordering, sitting down and enjoying my meal there. Why? It's fast food. It's just like McDonald's, Wendy's or Burger King. WRONG! Every visit, I was continually impressed by the warm welcome, happy order-taking and homey customer service. Every visit, I sat back, ate my chicken nuggets and waffle fries with Polynesian sauce and just observed the details. Fresh carnation in a vase. Disposable table mats for babies and toddlers. Ketchup packet neatly organized. Being greeted and checked in on by at least 1 manager and 3 employees.

Needless to say, Chick-Fil-A is a well-oiled machine with a great system. I wanted to know more. I was curious. I love a good read when it comes to successful businesses or people. One fine day, I noticed books on the counter. Books that were written by the Chick-Fil-A CEO himself, Truett Cathy. In true Truett Cathy form, he charged a measly $5 for books purchased in-store. "Wealth: Is it Worth it" was the title. I read it in two hours. He attributes his entire success and wealth to...you've got it...GIVING.

My idea of wealth, attaining success and being happy changed. While I am all about becoming wealthy to buy whatever I want and go on fabulous, exotic vacations, I changed my mindset and heart to give more. Doesn't have to be money, but time, energy, thoughts, prayers...those can all be given.

So, as this year comes to an end and I start writing down my 2016 goals (something I do every year), I think I'm going to do things a little differently. I'm going to write a list of what I'd like to give and see where that takes me.

Happy Thanksgiving :)

No comments: