Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Fresh Tomato Sauce

CJ came home with a box filled with tomatoes. We gave a few away to my inlaws and I didn't know what to do with the rest. Off the top of my head, I though I could make pico de gallo and caprese salad. After posting on Facebook, I received several replies: fresh tomato sauce!

Ok, Google. Let's go! I found a lot of recipes. I particularly liked this one website that broke down the process pretty well. I have to say I was nervous to try it. I didn't need to be because it was easy to make and SO FRESH & DELICIOUS!! I can't wait to try different recipes in the future.

Fresh Tomato Sauce
Recipe from The Kitchn

Ingredients:
-tomatoes 
-minced garlic
-salt/pepper to taste


Instructions:
- Boil a pot of water
- Prepare a large bowl of ice water
- Core tomato stems and make an X slit at the round end with a knife.
- Blanche tomatoes by placing them in boiling water for about 60 seconds or until skin starts peeling and looks wrinkled
- Scoop out the tomatoes and place them in the ice water
- Peel the skin off and discard
- Heat a pan on medium heat and throw tomatoes in
- Let simmer for 30 minutes
- add garlic, salt and pepper to your liking and taste towards the last 10 minutes

Pour over pasta and enjoy!





No comments: