Monday, September 29, 2014

Oil Pulling


I'm a girl who loves to try anything once. There's no exception when it comes to healthy living. Earlier this year, I learned about oil pulling. It sounded so odd and weird, but noticed several celebrities who swore by it. I had coconut oil in the pantry and gave it a go.

What is oil pulling?

It's an ancient Indian practice that consists of swishing oil (vegetable-based like coconut, sesame and olive) around your mouth for 20 minutes. The swishing helps pull the bad bacteria and traps it in the oil. Timing is important as 20 minutes is long enough to pull the toxins, yet short enough that the toxins don't go back into your body. Then, you spit it out in the trash and rinse your mouth with warm water (do not spit it out in the sink as it can clog your pipes).

Benefits
  • Whiter teeth
  • Reduce plaque/gingivitis
  • Get rid of bad breath
  • Strengthen teeth and gums
  • Helps with allergies, asthma, eczema

Final verdict? 
I tried it for 3 months and re-started it recently.  Whiter teeth, shinier teeth, fresh breath and helped with digestion. I don't know if bacteria really is being pulled into the oil, but it's not harmful. I may not do this every day, but I'll definitely be continuing this.


Resources:
http://www.oilpulling.com/

http://wellnessmama.com/7866/oil-pulling-for-oral-health/

2 comments:

eunice.ra@gmail.com said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
eunice.ra@gmail.com said...

I forget to tell you these things, but I read your blog every time you post. This one was my favorite! I actually tried oil pulling for a couple days because of this post and it definitely did make my mouth feel cleaner. I made Ryan try it too and he unwillingly complied. He had a canker sore in his mouth at the time and it usually takes a week or two to go away, but after a day or two of oil pulling it disappeared on its own. I decided to give it a go a few days ago to see if it really works miracles as it is rumored to cure colds. I have a pretty severe sinus cold at the moment. Unfortunately it didn't work miracles on me; I am still sick, but with cleaner teeth. ❤️