Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Peanut-Sesame Slaw with Soba Noodles

For the past two weeks, CJ and I have been eating healthy. I'm talking about cottage cheese, flaxseeds, ginger tea, salads, veggie patties, fish, chicken, quinoa, walnuts, brazilian nuts...doesn't sound too appetizing, right? I can see you scrunching your face saying "ewww". Get it out of your system. Done? Great. Read on.

CJ is a meats and potatoes type of guy. I know this is a huge transition for him (I love you for riding along with minimal complaints). Healthy eating can be quite tasty with some research and creativity. We are both learning that once your body gets used to eating healthy, your body craves it and your tummy aches when you eat crap food.

Though we're buying a lot of organic foods, we're actually saving money because I'm not buying chips, soda, bacon, hot dogs, and red meat. I've been more focused on veggies, tuna, salmon, brown rice, fruit, and the list goes on. 

A few nights ago, I needed to whip up a quick dinner. Where else would I go, but Pinterest for inspiration and ideas! Gawd, I love Pinterest.

I came across a tasty looking photo and clicked on it and discovered this recipe. If you're not a peanut butter fan, move on and just know you're no longer my friend. i...love...PEANUT...BUTTERRRRR!! I really want to go on and on about it, but really, I should just stop yapping and post the recipe already. Crunch, crunch, chomp, chomp...enjoy!

PEANUT-SESAME SLAW WITH SOBA NOODLES
Recipe cred goes to Cookie+Kate



Ingredients

Slaw
  • 4 ounces soba noodles (omit if you want it to be gluten-free, unless it's gluten-free soba...duh)
  • 1 small purple or green cabbage, sliced into quarters and core removed
  • ½ pound (about 12) Brussels sprouts, optional
  • 4 carrots, peeled
  • 1 bunch green onions, trimmed and sliced into thin rounds
Peanut-sesame dressing
  • ½ cup peanut butter
  • 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar or rice vinegar
  • 3 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
  • 3 tablespoons reduced-sodium tamari or other soy sauce
  • 2 tablespoons honey or agave nectar
  • 1 tablespoon finely grated fresh ginger
  • 2 garlic cloves, pressed or minced
Garnish
  • Sprinkle of coarsely chopped peanuts
  • Handful of cilantro, coarsely torn
  • 1 lime, sliced into wedges
Instructions
  1. Cook the soba noodles: bring a large pot of water to boil and cook the noodles according to package directions. Drain and rinse with cold water before returning to pot.
  2. Prepare the vegetables: This is easier in a food processor than by hand. If using a food processor, shred the cabbage and sprouts with the slicing disk, then grate the carrots using the grating disk. Or use a chef's knife to chop the cabbage and sprouts into thin strips, then coarsely grate the carrots.
  3. Prepare the dressing: In a small bowl, whisk together the dressing ingredients until smooth.
  4. In a large serving bowl, combine the cooked soba noodles, shredded cabbage and sprouts, grated carrots, and chopped green onions. Pour dressing over the vegetables and toss to coat (you may or may not need all of the dressing). For best flavor, let the slaw marinate for 20 minutes before serving.
  5. Serve slaw with a sprinkling of chopped peanuts, torn cilantro and a lime wedge.


Julia's Notes: I didn't use brussel sprouts, green onions or chopped peanuts because I didn't have them on hand.  Tasted just fine, but I bet it'll be tastier with them. The photo above doesn't have soba noodles, but I did add it later...yummo. If you want a lighter fare, omit the soba noodles.



1 comment:

Unknown said...

Can you just make it for me so I don't have to?? Lol